A camera that can shoot 360-degree spherical images in a single shot RICOH THETA SC2
TOKYO, November 19, 2019 －RICOH COMPANY, LTD. and RICOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD. will release the RICOH THETA SC2. The SC2 is the entry level model to the RICOH THETA 360° camera series, capable of capturing 360° still images and video footage. The RICOH THETA SC2 is easy to use, simple to operate, and features a variety of functions.
Since its release in 2013 as the world's firstNote 1 360° camera, "RICOH THETA" has been used in a multitude of environments and offers unlimited potential for image expression. Due to the rapid growth of the VR (virtual reality) market, the increasing number of social media services that are compatible with 360° images, and the growing demand for 360° images in the business market, 360 photography has become increasingly relevant.
The new RICOH THETA SC2 is an easy-to-use model , perfect for the 360 enthusiast, allowing anyone to capture high-quality spherical images. It snaps photos at approximately 14 megapixels, and smooth, immersive 360°spherical video at 30 fps (frames per second) in 4K (3840 x 1920 pixels). Additionally, the RICOH THETA SC2 comes with a variety of shooting modes such as "Face" mode, which recognizes human faces and applies skin smoothing, and "Night View" mode for shooting low-noise footage after the sun goes down. These modes allow the photographer to configure the camera with minimal effort.
In addition to the status OLED display (Organic EL display) in the lower section of the body, that allows at-a-glance checking of a range of information such as setting modes and battery power remaining, the RICOH THETA SC2 also features a new button that lets the user switch to self-timer mode, making the camera much easier to operate in a standalone manner. Staying true to the product concept of a compact, lightweight body, the RICOH THETA SC2 can be used as a live blogging camera that people can carry with them to record the events of their day. The lineup features four different Fresh Colors, allowing users to choose a color variation to suit the scenario in which they will use it or their preferences. This is the perfect camera for people who enjoy sharing pictures and videos on social media, or for those who wish to start using a 360° camera.
Note 1: For consumer products, this refers to the fact that the camera can capture the entire space surround the photographer, not just in a half-sphere or horizontal direction, in a single shot. (As of October 2013. According to Ricoh research.)
|Product name||RICOH THETA SC2|
|Body color||pink, blue, beige, white|
Accessories: USB cable, dedicated case
Main features of the new RICOH THETA SC2
1．Capable of capturing high-quality, high resolution 360° spherical still images and video footage
- ・A bright wide-aperture F2.0 large-diameter compact twin lens folded optics system and the latest image sensor delivers detailed 360° spherical images at an output resolution of approximately 14 megapixels. Exposure accuracy and white balance algorithms have been completely revamped from previous RICOH THETA SC models, and offer accurate, natural expression when shooting in Auto mode. Furthermore, an improved image sensor and image processing engine now allows shooting high-resolution 4K (3,840 x 1920 pixels) video at 30 fps (frames per second) for up to three minutes, equivalent to high-end cameras.
2．Shooting modes matched to scenarios
- ・Equipped with a range of preset modes that deliver the perfect footage for specific subjects and shooting scenarios. An all new underwater mode, that allows the user to adjust to the ideal white balance when shooting underwater, Note 2 has also been added.
- A mode that detects human faces and automatically places them at the center of the image. This mode is also using exposure compensation and noise reduction to apply skin smoothing.
- "Night View":
- A mode that utilizes dynamic range compensation and noise reduction through image compositing to deliver beautiful night-time shots.
- "Lens-by-Lens Exposure":
- A mode that controls two lenses individually to provide clear, bright footage of subjects in scenarios where there are significant variations in brightness levels, such as inside and outside vehicles, or on stage.
Note 2: A dedicated underwater housing is required when shooting underwater.
3．Easy-to-understand user interface on the camera body
- ・The lower area of the camera body is equipped with a OLED status display that displays icons indicating the setting mode, smartphone connection state, remaining battery power, and other useful information. A self-timer button makes operation more convenient when shooting with the camera in a standalone configuration.
4．Dual communication and high-speed data transfer using Bluetooth® and wireless LAN
- ・The RICOH THETA SC2 can be connected to a smartphone via Bluetooth®. Smartphones can now be used for shooting with just a Bluetooth® connection. With a wireless LAN connection, all functions can be used, including live view display and image transfer on a smartphone, which can be used separately as appropriate to the shooting circumstances.
- ・The process has been changed such that the "top/bottom" correction is performed when videos are played back instead of when data is transferred, making the video transfer rate approximately 4x faster than the previous Ricoh Theta SC model.
Note 3: Actual measured value compared with RICOH THETA SC when transferring identical amounts of data to iOS devices. According to Ricoh research.
5．The new "Animation Photo" function offers improved ways to enjoy sharing content (Compatibility planned for spring 2020)
- ・Still images taken with a smartphone camera and 360°spherical images taken with RICOH THETA can be composited in a dedicated app to generate an "Animation Photo" in which a spherical image is displayed as an animation when the image is tapped. Since these images can be played back and shared as Live Photos (iOS) or videos (AndroidTM), even people who do not have a 360°viewer app can play and share these files easily.
6．4 color variations
- ・The Ricoh THETA SC2 comes in four different glossy fresh colors that users can choose from.
Main specifications of RICOH THETA SC2
|Shooting distance||Approx. 10cm - ∞ (from front of lens)|
Still images: Auto, Shutter priority, ISO priority, Manual
Still images: Noise reduction, DR compensation, HDR rendering, interval shooting, multi-bracket shooting, self-timer (2 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds), My Settings, Animation Photo shooting (Compatibility planned for spring 2020)
Preset: Face, Night View, Lens-by-Lens Exposure
Videos: Self-timer (2 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds), My Settings
|Exposure compensation||Still images/Videos: -2.0 - +2.0EV, 1/3EV step*1|
|ISO sensitivity (standard output sensitivity)||
Still images: Auto (ISO64 - 1600, upper limit setting possible), ISO priority/manual (ISO64 - 3200)*1
Videos: Auto (ISO64- 6400, upper limit setting possible)
|White balance mode||Still images/video: Auto, Outdoor, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent light 1, Incandescent light 2, Daylight color fluorescent light, Natural white fluorescent light, White fluorescent light, Light bulb color fluorescent light, Underwater, Color temperature (2500K to 10000K)*1|
Still images: (Auto) 1/25000 - 1/8 seconds
(Shutter priority AE mode) 1/25000 - 1/8 seconds*1
(Manual mode) 1/25000 - 60 seconds*1
Videos: (Auto) 1/25000 - 1/30 seconds
|Recording medium||Internal memory: Approx. 14GB|
|Number of photos that can be recorded, time*2||
Still images: JPEG Approximately 3,000 images*2
Videos (Recording time for one video): Maximum 3 minutes*3
Videos (Total recording time): (4K) approximately 32 minutes, (2K)
approximately 115 minutes*2
|Information display panel*4||0.5 inch organic EL (OLED) panel 60 x 32 dot, automatic brightness adjustment|
|Power source||Lithium ion battery (built-in)*5|
Still image: Approx. 260 photos*6
Videos: Approx. 60 minutes*6
|Image file format||
Still images: JPEG (Exif Ver 2.3)
Videos: MP4 (Video: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, audio: AAC-LC (monaural))
|External interface||MicroUSB: USB2.0|
|Exterior/external dimensions||45.2 mm (W) x 130.6 mm (H) x 22.9 mm (17.9 mm*7) (D)|
|Weight||Approx. 104 g|
|Lens configuration, F-number||7 elements in 6 groups, F2.0|
|Image sensor, size||1/2.3 (x2)|
|Effective pixels||Approx. 12 megapixels (x2), *Output pixels approx. 14 megapixels|
|Still image resolution||5376×2688 pixels|
|Video resolution/frame rate/bit rate||
4K: 3840×1920/29.97fps/54Mbps (High), 32Mbps (Low)
2K: 1920×960/29.97fps/16Mbps (High), 8Mbps (Low)
*1 Manual settings require a smartphone.
*2 The number of photos and time are guides only. The actual number differs according to the photography conditions.
*3 Automatic shut down if the internal temperature increases when shooting continuously, etc.
*4 Panel displays information on settings, etc. Captured images cannot be displayed.
*5 Charge the battery by connecting it to a PC using the supplied USB cable.
*6 The number of photos that can be taken and usage time is a guide based on Ricoh measurement methods, and differs according to usage conditions.
*7 Excluding the lens.
・Live Photos is a trademark of Apple Inc.
・IOS is a trademark or registered trademark of Cisco in the United States and other countries, and is used under license.
・Android is a trademark of Google LLC.
・Bluetooth is a trademark or registered trademark of Bluetooth SIG, Inc., in the United States and other countries.
・Other product names and company names are trademarks or registered trademarks of respective companies.
・Specifications and designs may change without prior notice.
| The Ricoh Group |
The Ricoh Group provides products and services/solutions centering on imaging devices for offices, production printing, industrial products, and digital cameras to approximately 200 countries and regions around the world (Consolidated sales for the Ricoh Group in the March quarter for 2019 were 2.132 trillion yen).
Over the 80 years since its founding, Ricoh has worked actively to provide excellent technical capabilities and excellent customer service, and to achieve a sustainable society.
EMPOWERING DIGITAL WORKPLACES - Enabling individuals to work smarter. The Ricoh Group works with customers to transform workplaces through innovations in technologies and services.
See here for more detailed information.www.ricoh.com/